Is Dental Assisting School Right for Me?
Dental Assisting is a fast growing career path. If you’re friendly, dedicated to helping others, and want a career that gives you the opportunity to make a real difference for people, dental assisting may be the perfect career path for you. It’s easy to get started toward becoming a trained dental assistant. If you live in Westerville, Lebanon, or surrounding communities, contact Dental Assistant Pro to get started today. Our dental assisting schools make it easy for you to get the training you need, and we help our graduates start down the road to successful careers as dental assistants.
What Dental Assistants Do
Dental assistants do just what their title indicates – they assist in the dental practice. Assistants may be asked to wear a number of different hats within the dentistry office, and no two days will ever be exactly alike. Depending on the type of dental practice (general or specialty) and the location, you may be asked to perform a number of tasks, including:
- Preparing tools for dental treatment
- Assisting the dentist and/or hygienist during dental care
- Scheduling appointments, collecting new patient forms, processing insurance benefits, and other administrative tasks
- Assisting with lab work like capturing dental impressions and creating temporary crowns and bridges
- Capturing comprehensive dental x-rays and smile photos
- Applying dental sealants for adults and kids to protect teeth
- Completing topical fluoride treatments to strengthen teeth
- Generally, helping the practice run more smoothly
The Future of Dental Assisting
Research indicates that the future of dental assisting is bright. Dental assistants can work in a number of different settings, including private general dentistry practices, the offices of dental specialists like orthodontists and oral surgeons, hospital dental clinics, and even as part of public health dentistry offering treatment for at-risk patients. Once you’ve gained some experience, you may even find a successful career sharing your knowledge and expertise with future dental assistants by teaching in a vocational school or dental assisting program like ours. In the next ten years, projected growth in job opportunities in the dental assisting field is almost 20% compared with 7% average employment opportunity growth. That means if you complete training to become a dental assistant today, you will be in high demand.
The Perks of the Job
Thanks to the rapid growth projected in the dental assisting field, finding a job will be a breeze for our dental assisting school graduates. In addition to the fast growing industry, there are a number of other perks to becoming a dental assistant, including:
- Great pay after completing a short training period
- Flexible schedules make work/life balance a breeze
- Working in the healthcare field often means an excellent benefit packages